Thursday, March 10, 2005

My Last Day in Corporate Hell

Peter Gibbons: So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life ____________________________________________________________________ Today is my last day in this corporate hell that is the [Large Telecommunications Company] World Headquarters. No longer will I trudge in to work through the back door five minutes late, because I couldn't motivate myself to get out of bed to do this useless, menial job. No longer will I sit under florescent lights working like a drone, sharing a small space with three other drones. No longer will I get paid nothing to do nothing useful. No longer will I hate my job, no longer will I come home from work with no sense of accomplishment! Today, at 4:30pm, I will free myself of my chains and I will run screaming into the world, shouting, "I'm free! I'm free!" If you can't tell, I'm not a big fan of corporate life. It sucks the soul out of you. You're a tiny fish in a huge ocean, and you make no difference; and all the while you're making no difference, you're treated like poo! And now finally, after on year to the month of searching for work, I have landed a job doing what I love! Come this Monday, I will return to social work. My passion will once again be my profession and I am elated! I was a social worker for two years, working in foster care. I left to move to Europe, and in the year I've been back I haven't been able to find work. With the economy so poor, the job market so tight, and social programs being butchered to nothing, my fellow social workers leaving school with master's degrees are taking jobs that pre-Bush would have only required a high school education. And where did the leave little old bachelor's degree me? Temping, of course. But finally, Tuesday night I received the phone call that changed it all: I was offered a job in foster care again! Whhooooo hooooooo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home