Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Chiggers

I went to a barbeque on Saturday night and was attacked. Apparently I was sitting in a large infestation of chiggers, because my feet and ankles and legs are covered with dozens of red welts. I am in the middle of a war against my own skin. The itching is overwhelming. I almost died during a meeting this morning. I want to cut off the welts with a knife. I want to peel the skin off of my legs.

Shanshu's mom was over for dinner last night, and I was complaining to her about my chigger bites. I was sitting there, living in my own happy world, contentedly scratching the Jesus out of my ankles and feet, when she said the words that almost changed my life forever: "Don't worry, they'll die soon."

I think my panic-stricken face gave it away, or it could have been my screaming in horror. "You didn't know that chiggers burrow themselves into you skin, did you?" She asked. No I didn't know! Somehow all of my life I had thought that they just bite you and GO AWAY. I looked down at my red bumpy feet and imagined that 30 or so little bugs crawling under my skin. Then she proceeds to tell me that when the bites itch, it's the little bugs moving around.

Well, that did it. I thought I was going to get ill. I contemplated cutting the little buggers out with knives, and to hell with the scars. Bugs, under my skin? AAAAAH!

This morning I came into work, and the first thing I did was go on the internet to try and figure out the quickest way to kill my nasty little parasites. I found out some relieving and interesting things.

First, chiggers do not burrow into your skin. That's one of those old wives tales. They are above your skin, and attach to a weak point like a hair follicle or pore to eat. Second, they do stay on there eating for a few days; however, it's more likely that bathing and scratching has already brushed them off. Third, like I thought before, the itching is a reaction to the saliva they inject into your skin.

For more info, check out this enlightening, life saving article.

I am very relieved. I am so glad I looked that up and realized that chiggers do not burrow into one's skin. Life is better, as I sit here happily scratching myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home