Friday, August 26, 2005

Where the Sidewalk Ends

What a car day this has been! I have been driving my mom's car this week, since she's in Ireland and mine broke down last weekend. My car is fine now, but I haven't had time to go pick it up yet, so I'm still driving Mom's. This afternoon I went out to get into her car and it didn't start...which is a huge problem. I have to take 2 kids to their foster homes at 5pm, which will be a little difficult without a vehicle! I called my brother, to ask for his help, but I couldn't reach him. So I called my boyfriend, but he was in a car wreck this morning and is too shaken up to drive. So I began wandering around my office, searching for someone who could take me to get my car. I found someone after a few minutes, and she drove me to where my car is...my car and it's flat tire. Sigh. So I drove on the doughnut to my local Wal-Mart to get a cheapie tire put on. Once there, they informed me that I was lucky that I hadn't come on a Saturday, because the wait is really long on Saturdays. They told me that I was lucky, and right then the wait was only 2 hours. 2 hours?? I had to be back at work for a meeting in an hour! After fruitlessly trying to call co-workers to come pick me up again, I decided to walk it. After all, the Wal-mart runs along the interstate, as does my office, and is only 2 exits away from my office. It couldn't be that far, right?

So I started walking, me in my little heels and the humidity sweltering. My long-sleeved dress shirt didn't help the humid sweatiness of it all, either. I walked quickly along the sidewalk, optimistic about the rightness of my decision. To my chagrin, the sidewalk ended about a half mile into my journey and I was stuck with two options: the wet, muddy grass or the fairly busy street. I chose what I deemed to be the safest option, which was the grass. Have you ever tried walking in heels in the wet grass? Your heels dig into the mud, making it twice as hard to lift your foot. Then, your feet get wet and the lotion you put on after your shower that morning makes your feet slippery. This causes you take itty-bitty baby steps to prevent ankle-twisting and shoe-losing. After a while of itty-bitty baby steps in the mud, I decided that this was slowing down my progress too much. So I began to walk in the street.

I'm sure the cars were very annoyed with me that they had to swing wide of the curb to give me room, but I wasn't too concerned with that. Do you want to know why? Because of the HUGE CRAMP in my side. In truth, however, the cramp wasn't so bad when you compare it to the massive amounts of perspiration I was losing. At least the drops of perspiration were falling on my by-now cracked, blistered feet.

Well, I made it to my office. Between the front door and my office I had two people ask if I was okay. It must have been the beet-red face and the profuse sweating. So here I sit in my office, the door closed and locked and my shirt off to cool down. I've been through two glasses of water already (it's only been about 20 minutes since I got back) and am ACHING for a third.

I'm going to go drink water. You all have a good weekend.

Shit, where's my shirt?

5 Comments:

At 6:36 AM, August 29, 2005, Blogger Shanshu said...

Poor thing! I told you, you should have called me! I would have come get you and saved you the walk back to work.

But you HAD to be independant, didn't you?

 
At 8:16 AM, August 29, 2005, Blogger Jen said...

You know how I am. I'm one of those modern girls who can take of herself! :)

 
At 11:02 AM, August 29, 2005, Blogger PJ said...

Jee-SUS...you guys both had a bad Friday.

Sorry to hear that. Good thing you're going to be in sun and sand in less than a week. :)

 
At 3:36 PM, August 29, 2005, Blogger Unknown said...

crapsticks. That freakin' sucks. BTW, I want a job-search update. What did you do?? Check kcphilnet.org because they have way more shit on there right now for you. not so much anything for me, but that's ok.

 
At 9:13 AM, August 30, 2005, Blogger Jen said...

KCPhilnet is about the only site I've used for years. It's great, but every darn social worker in the city knows about it so you have to get your resume in early. Anyway, I decided to stay where I am. It was a difficult decision, but there were good reasons to stay.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home