Thursday, August 25, 2005

Scum-Sucking Little Virus

Sometimes, no matter how much careful planning and double-checking you put into something, God comes down and takes a crap on your face.

I am going on vacation next Saturday. I've been planning this trip for months. It's all paid off, and all the details have been put painstakingly in place. I've spent hours on research and calculations, from getting the best car rental rates to getting the right mix of people to join me. I have spoken with representatives from airlines, car rental companies, and beach house rental companies more than I have spoken with my friends lately. Everything is set to be perfect; every bit of minutiae has been triple-checked. NOTHING can go wrong sans an act of God...

...and then I get an act of God. I share an office, and my officemate is sick. Like, really sick. Like, hasn't gotten out of bed in three days except to go to the doctor. Oh, and of course to come into work for an hour yesterday, the point of which I think was to try really hard to infect me as much as possible. Her doctor says that she has a virus that has been going around, and that this piece of dung virus puts people out of commission for 4-7 days.

As we all know, a virus can be in your system for 7-10 days before you show symptoms. She started getting sick on Monday. This means that for almost two weeks now, she has had this nasty little bug in her body. And outside her body, every time she breathed. Breathed in the same room as me for 8 hours a day. And she touched things, like the door knob, which I touch, too.

I swear to all that is sacred, if my trip is ruined because I am sick in bed for half the week, I will...I will...I will bitch loudly.

So my day today has been spent trying to reduce my likelihood of infection down to the smallest chance possible. I have wiped every surface, door knob, computer keyboard, phone and chair handle with Clorox wipes. I have been drinking water like I spent the last week drunk. I have taken every immune-boosting vitamin and herb I have ever heard about. I will force myself into bed early every night, tired or not. I WILL NOT FALL ILL!

So wish me luck as I try to ward off Murphy! Hopefully I shall find success...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home