Monday, September 19, 2005

Another Wedding Weekend

I had two weddings on Saturday, and they were such polar opposites. The first one was low-budget, no-fun, short and boring. The second was high-dollar, fun, and fantastic. I have a feeling, however, that the type of wedding was completely opposite to the genuinity of the marriages themselves. The first wedding involved a couple who have been dating for seven years, and who are so in love with one another that a tornado couldn't tear them apart. The second couple have been dating for a couple of years, but shortly before the engagement the bride "hated" the groom for a few months while they were broken up. At the first wedding, the bride and groom were glued at the hip throughout. At the second wedding, I don't think the bride and groom really saw each other much at the reception.

The first wedding was between a very good friend of mine since high school, and I was a bridesmaid. It was an afternoon wedding, and the couple was paying for it themselves. They don't have a lot of money, so it was a simple ceremony with very few people, and then cake & punch in the church gym. There was no alcohol, and no dancing. It was painfully boring. By about an hour into the reception, almost everyone had left. From ceremony start to finish (including cleaning up the reception hall) the whole thing lasted three hours. It was, however, an exact reflection on the couple, as it should be. They don't party, and they're not highly social, so what they wanted was to get married and then just be with one another. If I had been a guest, I might have thought it was a crappy wedding, but knowing the couple so well, it was just perfect for them.

The second wedding was my step-sister's that evening at an area country club. The ceremony was held under a canopy by the golf course, and was followed with cocktail hour and a full sit-down formal dinner. It was fantastic. The wine was wonderful, and according to my step-mother was a big fight because of it's expense. The food was delicious, but I forgot to have cake. For anyone who knows me, I'm crazy about wedding cake. It probably would have been really good wedding cake, too. Darn it. Dinner was followed by dancing outside under the canopy, and the music was done by a pretty good band. I wish I could have danced, but my feet were on fire from the three-inch heels I'd had to wear for my friend's wedding that afternoon. We drank way too much, and Shanshu and I broke in the golf course (heh heh heh). Thanks, Shanshu. ;)

Sunday was, of course, spent laying on the couch lamenting the terribleness of wine hangovers; that is, when we finally made it out of bed well into Sunday afternoon. As of today, the house is a disaster area because neither of us felt like cleaning up at all. That includes the empty boxes of Chinese food sitting around...ugh. Shanshu didn't make it to work today, and I'm seriously jealous of him as he lays in bed watching TV at this very moment.

So all in all, a pretty good weekend. I'm looking forward to a week of down-time, though.

5 Comments:

At 8:25 AM, September 20, 2005, Blogger Shanshu said...

I cleaned up the apartment and even did the dishes. I rock.

I was thinking about making a post about the golf course...now I'm not too sure. You stole my thunder, woman!

:)

 
At 12:53 PM, September 20, 2005, Blogger PJ said...

Dude, I can't believe you flaked on work Monday. I thought you were being awfully quiet...

What a pussy! :p

 
At 9:18 AM, September 21, 2005, Blogger Shanshu said...

Blow me, radio boy.

 
At 11:30 AM, September 21, 2005, Blogger PJ said...

I would, but it seems like there's a line forming.

 
At 9:04 AM, September 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog. Glad you had fun at the weddings!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home