Sunday, January 22, 2006

My Weekend in Prison

I like to fly. I'm having a busy work travel week. I'm going to both Detroit and Norfolk on Tuesday. You know, one of those leave before the sun, spend a few hours in Detroit, fly out to Norfolk, spend a few hours, and get home just before bedtime. Yay. At least I get to pay for my own meals, and be reimbursed in two months. Stupid nonprofit.

I'd just like to say curses on Badtouch. We were in Lawrence on Friday night to hang, and he introduced us to the most delicious prime rib French dip sandwich ever made, courtesy of the Lawrence location of 75th Street Brewery. I seriously went to bed thinking about it's yumminess that night. Tonight, Eric and I were thinking so much about that sandwich that we drove 30 minutes to 75th & Wornall to get that sandwich. Oh, and it was so yum. Seriously, if you're ever in/or near Lawrence or the Waldo area of KCMO, go to 75th Street Brewery and eat that sandwich. Even if you're a vegetarian. Soy's not as good for you as you think, anyway.

Speaking of soy...I'm the first one to agree that red meat is not fantastic for you. We've cut it down to once a week or less. I also firmly believe that a little bit of red meat is very good for you. Now, my best friend in the world is a vegetarian. She does it for a great reason; she doesn't approve of the way animals are treated. I can't blame the girl for that, and if I was a better and richer person I would probably go organic and cut out meat, too. However, I also know that there are people who think that it's HORRIBLY TERRIBLY AWFULLY unhealthy not to be a vegetarian. They think that they are SO MUCH healthier than people who eat meat. Now, these people I don't care for, and something very interesting has been presented in the news lately that makes me want to go up to all these tofu freaks and say HA! I told you so!

Soy is not that good for you. It's not bad for you, but unlike what certain high and mighty vegan acquaintances have told me, it's not good for you either. It doesn't help your heart. So ha! Scoff if you will as you eat your tofu burger and I drink my glass of red wine. At least I'm doing something that's good for me!

5 Comments:

At 7:08 AM, January 23, 2006, Blogger Shanshu said...

Yeah, that French Dip was pretty much the best thing I've ever eaten in my entire life.

Oh, and WHAT does your title mean? I don't get it.

 
At 8:08 AM, January 23, 2006, Blogger Rowan said...

*waves* i'm back.

 
At 9:42 AM, January 23, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

I got a good chuckle from your post - thanks! I just recently became a vegetarian, although I still consume eggs and dairy. Even though meat and poultry still look and smell good to me, like your friend, I don't like the way animals are treated. I would not object to eating beef, pork, or poultry that is organically raised. I finally got up the nerve to try tofu "lunchmeat." While not TOTALLY appealing, it wasn't the most awful thing I've ever had. Most importantly, my husband liked it (yeah!) although I couldn't fool my six-year-old (she's too smart for that!). I saw the report that said soy is not as good as what was once thought. In my opinion, ALL soy is bad unless it's organically grown. And really, planning menus carefully and buying organic isn't so expensive. Ultimately you become more aware of what you are eating and end up buying less pre-packaged and processed foods. Organic food tastes better, especially milk and eggs - no kidding! You know how regular lowfat milk looks blueish? Organic fat free milk is really white - they way it should be. Plus you are supporting local farmers instead of the big agribusiness who are only concerned about profit and not our health.

 
At 12:46 PM, January 23, 2006, Blogger PJ said...

Is it me? Or do most vegetarians have a kinda grey hue to them?

 
At 5:53 PM, January 23, 2006, Blogger Barakah said...

I've been vegetarian on and off for a few years. All I can say is we were not built for vegetarianism, omnivores all the way. It takes a great deal of discipline and education to go vegetarian and maintain your health. As a teacher and a full time student I find that I don't have the time to plan my meals carefully enough and fall of the bandwagon. Plus, I can never get enough damn sushi...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home