Tuesday, February 14, 2006

St. Paddy's Day

Real quick...
I was reading online a bunch of commentary about how St. Valentine's Day is all phony (Shan calls it Hallmark Day). I don't agree or disagree. I really don't have an opinion.

However...

This led into some posts about how St. Paddy's is phony. You know, people saying that St. V's day is phony like St. Paddy's Day.

Excuse me? St. Paddy's Day is phony?

Yeah, well, so is the Chinese New Year.

I mean, really! Just because you're not Chinese and don't attach any meaning to the Chinese New Year doesn't make it phony. Just because you're not Irish or Catholic and don't attach any meaning to St. Paddy's doesn't make it phony.

I understand that there are people who use St. Paddy's as an excuse to drink (not that I don't). They don't have any Irish heritage, but they sure love the party. But what about those of us who ARE Irish in America and consider this day a celebration of our heritage and culture?

I think if someone ever called St. Paddy's Day fake to my face, I'd pop them in the nose.

3 Comments:

At 6:56 AM, February 15, 2006, Blogger Shanshu said...

Noses are phony.

 
At 11:45 AM, February 17, 2006, Blogger PJ said...

If I can actually find an Irishman that celebrates heritage on that day, I'll be sure and let you know.

The argument is probably that 3/17 is as commercial and trite as 2/14 and 12/25. Not to suggest that people don't celebrate these days properly, but they're in the minority.

 
At 10:22 AM, February 20, 2006, Blogger Jen said...

I can find you about 500 if you come to KC.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home