Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Friday and Lent

So, St. Paddy's is on a Friday this year and it's causing some angst amongst some American Irish.

Corned beef and cabbage is a staple of American Irish fare. While corned beef is unheard of in Ireland, it does have valid Irish roots. In Ireland, ham (or bacon, as it's called) is served after being heavily salted and boiled. It's yummy. It's also hard to find here. I imagine it was even more difficult when the waves of Irish immigrants were flooding the U.S. during the potato famine. So, they began eating corned beef, which from what I've been told is a decent substitute.

So, corned beef is staple fare, and is also meat. St. Paddy's is on Friday, and it's Lent. Almost all Irish are Catholics, and Catholics fast from meat on Fridays in Lent. You can see the dilemma.

This is an inconvenience, but it is after all only one year. It's not like they can't have a corned beef and cabbage dinner on Thursday night. It's kind of annoying to me, because I can't make my usual fry-up for dinner that night. I guess I'll have it on Thursday night. Not a big deal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home