Friday, March 03, 2006

Scary Life Decisions

Onward and upward, as my mother says.

I accepted a new job today. Some may be surprised, as I’ve made it pretty clear that I adore my current job. Trust me, it wasn’t an easy decision to make. I do love my current job. The thing is, this new job is a better opportunity for me professionally.

The first factor was education. Where I work now, I couldn’t have moved up the ladder any further without getting a Master’s in Social Work. In order to do the job that is the next level up, one must be a licensed social worker. I’m not, because I don’t have the required bachelor’s in social work to become licensed. So, I’d have to go back to school for a social work degree. This means money and time, not to mention the fact that I’d be stuck where I am in the meantime. At the new job, you don’t have to be a licensed social worker to move up. A Psych degree will do just fine. Now, I do intend at some point to go get an MSW, but I like the fact that I can further my career in the meantime at this new employer.

The second factor was the almighty dollar. This new position is paid more, in both actual salary and benefits. Higher mileage reimbursement, cell phone reimbursement, more health coverage, more money in the paycheck. All of these are good things.

So, I’ll be leaving foster care and beginning to work for the county mental health center. I’ll be working a case load of severely emotionally disturbed children, or SED children. This may sound scary, but it’s really not such a big deal. Mostly it’ll be kids with PTSD, Bipolar disorder, etc..

Anyway, wish me luck!

2 Comments:

At 8:59 PM, March 05, 2006, Blogger PJ said...

Wow! Congrats!

 
At 7:24 AM, March 07, 2006, Blogger Jen said...

Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home