Wednesday, February 22, 2006

I Guess I Just Pissed Off Barley's Brewhaus

So, according to the FDA, fast food and chain restaurants are required to be able to provide customers with the nutrition information on their food. You know, calorie and fat content and that type of stuff. You can find out from most restaurants on their web site (such as McDonald’s and Applebee’s). Sometimes you have to call them to find out, but they are supposed to be able to provide it to you. I guess this is designed to help fatty America make better decisions about their diets.

So, I called Barley’s Brewhaus, where I had eaten dinner the night before, to get the nutrition info on the sandwich I’d had. I just wanted to know how bad it was so I could decide if it meant I needed to eat salad all day today to compensate. Now, I know that they’re not really a chain (there are 2 Barley’s and about 10 restaurants under different names but owned by the same people), but I figured I’d see if they had the information. I didn’t know that this would cause them to be ugly, rude assholes to me.

Stacey answered the phone pleasantly and asked if she could help me. I told her my request, and she sounded perplexed. She put the phone down to ask other employees, but didn’t put it on hold. I could hear her ask the others around her, and heard them say things like, “Is she serious?” and “Tell her it’s bad for her and not to eat it.” Now, I have worked in a restaurant, so I know that restaurant employees hate customers. They see them as people they must be fake toward in order to get a tip. I understand this, and have definitely been on the other end of that conversation before.

However, I didn’t expect them to completely be assholes and blow me off. It’s not like I was asking them for something unreasonable. A lot of places have that information for customers. In fact, most restaurants do. I know, because I ask a lot.

Stacy got back on the phone and said that she doesn’t know anything other than it’s bad for me. I told her to get her manager on the phone.

Darren got on the phone and asked if he could help me. I told him my request, and told him that some restaurants are required to have the information, therefore it is reasonable for me to ask. Darren told me that the sandwich was bad for me, I shouldn’t eat it, and that he doesn’t have nutrition information. I mean, he acted like he wasn’t supposed to know and I was weird for asking. WTF?

So, I guess I pissed Barley’s off. I’m kind of mad at them, and will probably call their GM. Sheesh.

5 Comments:

At 12:57 PM, February 22, 2006, Blogger Shanshu said...

If you don't contact their GM or the REAL manager of the place, you have NO hair on your balls.

And I know you don't have balls. It's metaphor.

Make sure those assholes know you are pissed. There is NO excuse for such behavior. NONE.

 
At 8:03 PM, February 22, 2006, Blogger PJ said...

Seriously. Fuck that place!

The part that made me laugh, though, was the part where they were both like, "you shouldn't eat it."

Uh...now THAT's a great way to get a customer.

"Whatever you do, don't eat our shit!"

 
At 6:12 AM, February 23, 2006, Blogger Shanshu said...

Turns out that the guy she talked to WASN'T the manager, like I said. It was one of the punk waiters.

The REAL manager called back last night and talked to Jen...so it's sorted out.

Punks. Next time I go I'm only leaving 13%...that'll show 'em.

 
At 8:57 AM, February 23, 2006, Blogger Jen said...

Yeah, I guess I should have figured that a real restaurant manager would have been way more polite. I'm glad I complained, though. Next time I go, I'll only leave 12%!

 
At 9:37 AM, March 29, 2012, Blogger kcmeredith said...

So...did they ever figure out how many calories were in the sandwich???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home