Monday, October 31, 2005

Happy Halloween!

I'm pretty sure that just about everyone who blogs today is going to use that as their title.

First things first, thanks to John and Erin for throwing such a great party and letting us come. Your decorations were great and it was lots of fun!

In honor of Halloween, I've decided to not watch what I eat today. For example, I am currently breakfasting on a cupcake shaped like a spider that someone left in the lunchroom. I saw it when I was getting my coffee. Mmmm...someone just sent an email around that there are haystack cookies too!

I'm disappointed that I won't have any trick-or-treaters tonight. Just another reason I'm sick of living in an apartment. Last year, Shan and I bought candy and waiting hopefully for a child to knock on our door. I don't know why we did it; did you ever trick-or-treat at an apartment complex as a child? This year we didn't bother to buy any candy. I've actually never had the pleasure of trick-or-treaters coming to my door, even when I lived at my parents' house. We lived on kind of a really short block (it was us and two other houses), so most of the kids didn't bother coming up to our house. They stayed down the hill where there were lots of houses all together.

I'm also disappointed that I don't have a house because I'd really like to decorate for Halloween. I have a few things up, like a centerpiece on the dining room table and a witch's hat thrown on top of a vase. I would like to get one of those witches that are smashed into the side of a house, or a scarecrow for the front porch, or a ghost to hang from the front tree. Well, hopefully in a couple of years a house will be possible so I can have those things!

We went to a dress-up Halloween party Saturday night, which was a lot of fun (I won sexiest costume and earned myself a lunch box prize!). I only saw two people who came in a clever costume. One was very funny (he dressed in a large brown sack-like thing with flames, and called himself Hot Shit) and one was tired and lame (the old cereal killer routine). They got me thinking about other clever costumes I've seen. On the radio this morning, a man said that he wore chicken bits in a ziplock bag, tied over his neck with a cord, and a blue shirt. He was chick cord on blue. I like that one a lot. I guess the appeal of dressing like some sort of interesting, scary ghoul or whorish french maid just mostly wins out over creative costumes. Not that there's anything wrong with that! After all, I've never done anything clever for Halloween.

This Halloween, Shan and I thought we were going to be SO original. Months in advance, we decided to be pirates. We'd never seen anyone dressed as a pirate, and we were very excited to have come up with a good idea rather than a common one. We told the hosts of the party our plans a few weeks before, and they said, "Wow! That's the most clever idea ever!"

Just kidding. They said that they were going as pirates as well.

WTF! All that brainstorming and coming up with ideas and finally settling on something we've NEVER SEEN BEFORE and by CHANCE someone else did the same thing?

We discussed changing our ideas. I personally did not like the idea of showing up dressed like someone else, but after talking with the hosts again, we decided that it would be just fine. The hosts would only be one other couple out of everyone else dressed like us, and we could make it a two-couple theme instead of a one-couple theme. That didn't sound bad at all.

The night of the party, we show up. We're hanging out, talking with people, and we notice something strange...people keep showing up dressed as pirates. LOTS of people. There were about 8 people dressed as pirates at this party. Again, WTF! All that brainstorming and coming up with ideas and finally settling on something we've NEVER SEEN BEFORE and by CHANCE 6 other people did the same thing?

I have to say, it seemed to be one of those funny circumstances of chance that make you start to question God's sense of humor. Besides the disappointment of having thought so hard and then finding out you're not very original at all, it was kind of embarassing to be standing around and people saying to you, "I didn't realize this party was a pirate theme!"

However, despite it all, the party was a very good time and we liked being pirates for Halloween immensely. Now is the time, though, to plan out next year and make it the coolest costume every! I'm talking something bizarre and obscure that no one could possibly also be, like some sort of Japanese underground cartoon character that no one west of Tokyo has heard of.

2 Comments:

At 10:57 AM, October 31, 2005, Blogger Rowan said...

The party we went to also had tons of pirates, fairies, and sluts (like you said, not that there is anything wrong with that!) wonder why? hmm....oh well....sorry that you had that happen. Otherwise though, sounds like fun...you two seem to have a lot of great, fun friends!

 
At 1:32 PM, October 31, 2005, Blogger Unknown said...

Three things:

1. Pirates rock. If they don't like it, fuck 'em.

2. If you want trick-or-treaters, come over at about 5 tonight. From what we hear from our neighbors, there are shittons of them in this neighborhood and we may need reinforcement.

3. Once, in college, my roomate went as Blue Cheese--she wore a sexy blue dress and a Wisconsin Cheesehead on her head. I am not a big fan of the "punny" costumes. The next year she wore saran wrap. No shit. You could always go in bubble wrap--like that wouldn't win you sexiest costume:) Although you would have to tolerate people popping you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home